History

Klein ISD History

In 1849, Adam Klein, a native of Stuttgart, Germany, and his fiancee, Friedericka Klenk, set sail from Europe for America and were married by the ship’s captain. The couple eventually joined the other German immigrants, most of whom had entered the Port of Galveston, on the banks of Cypress Creek, which later became the northern section of Harris County. 

In July 1928, the present boundary lines of the school district were established with the consolidation of five common school districts and the official name became Rural High School District Number One. The district, 88 square miles in size, became one of the largest districts in land area in Harris County. In 1938, the school district was renamed the Klein Independent School District in honor of Adam Klein. 

The growth of the area was very slow and steady; most of the residents were farmers, ranchers, and dairy farmers. In 1966, the stage was set for exciting changes in the district when thousands of acres of land, covered with beautiful oak and pine trees, were purchased for residential construction. Developers found room to expand, a serene atmosphere of country living, and reasonable prices. Prior to this time, there were no large city-like subdivisions located within the boundaries of the district which, because of its size and shape, is served by three different post offices: Houston, Spring, and Tomball. 

In the 1970-71 school year, there were 2,744 students enrolled in Klein Schools. The current enrollment is in excess of 53,000 students in one early childhood and pre-kindergarten center, 30 elementary schools, 10 intermediate campuses, and 5 high schools. 

The Klein ISD has attracted new families from all over the U.S. and many foreign countries. The district has achieved an excellent reputation for academic, vocational, and extracurricular activities.

District Profile

German immigrants, led by Adam Klein, settled the area in 1849. In July 1928, the present boundary lines of the school district were established with the consolidation of five common school districts, and the official name became Rural High School District Number One. The total enrollment was 582. In March 1938, the school district was incorporated and renamed the Klein Independent School District. 

A seven-member Board of Trustees (the Board) governs the District. Each member is elected to an at-large position for three years in a nonpartisan election.

Klein Independent School District, encompassing approximately 87.5 square miles, is located in northwestern Harris County, Texas. Its southern portion is adjacent to the corporate limits of the City of Houston. Most of the District is located between Interstate Highway 45 (IH 45) on the east and State Highway 249 (SH 249) on the west. The southern boundary follows Cypress Creek for a considerable distance and a portion of the northern boundary of the District is the same as the northern boundary of Harris County. The District is currently comprised of five (5) high schools, ten (10) intermediate schools, thirty-two (32) elementary schools, one early childhood & pre-kindergarten center, one high school program of choice, and one alternative school program for a total of fifty (50) schools with more than 53,000 students.

The District provides a full range of educational services appropriate to grade levels Pre-Kindergarten (PK) through 12. These include regular and enriched academic education, special education, occupational education, and language training for those with limited English proficiency. The district offers a Spanish Bilingual program at most of the elementary schools. These basic programs are supplemented by a wide variety of offerings in the fine arts and athletics. 

Klein ISD is fully accredited by the Texas Education Agency and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The Texas Education Agency provides a school and district report card known as the AEIS report.

Website by Klein ISD Communications. © 2019 Klein ISD. All rights reserved.