What should I do if my child has a food allergy?

Allergies1. Contact the nurse at your child's school.
2. Give the nurse a doctor's note with your child's diagnosis.
3. The school nurse will forward the doctor's note to the food service dietitian.
4. Parents can contact the food service dietitian with any questions or concerns about menu items.
5. Klein ISD will make substitutions for milk for non-disabled students who can not drink cow's milk due to medical or special dietary need. A written request must be made from the doctor or the student's parent or legal guardian in order for the child to receive a fluid milk substitution. 

How can I make deposits to my child's account?Bill
Prepaying for lunch, breakfast, and/or a la carte items is an efficient way to pay for your student’s school meals. If paying by check, write the student’s or students’ name(s) and PIN # on the "memo" section of the check. If paying by cash, enclose a piece of paper with the student’s or students’ name(s) and PIN # with the money in an envelope. Deposits on an account can be made at any time either before school or during lunch, but to help serve you better, we would encourage you to make deposits in the mornings before school. Any amount may be deposited on any day. The cashier will remind the student when his/her account balance is getting low. Payments may also be made online at www.paypams.com


WhaDollar Signt happens to money left in my child's account at the end of the school year?

If your child has money left in his/her account at the end of a school year the money will be available on the first day of school the following year. This is true whether the child remains in the same school or moves to another Klein school.

How do I get a refund of money in my child's account?

Refund request can be done by completing the following online form (Click here) or make a request in writing to the food service department. The letter should include the child's name and school as well as the address you would like the refund sent to. Bag of money
Refunds will only be sent to the legal guardian at their address. No cash refunds are permitted and all refunds are handled through the food service office.

Request can be mailed to:
Klein Nutrition and Food Services
Attn: Refunds
7500 FM 2920 Road Klein, Texas 77379
Request may also be faxed to 832-249-4031 or emailed to nharrington1@kleinisd.net


What type of cash register system does the food service department use?

ThCash Registere Klein ISD Food Service Department utilizes a computerized cash register system. This system allows us to provide better service to both students and parents, as well as account for all meals served at this site. Each student is assigned a personal identification number (PIN) on the first day of school or when enrolled in the school. During mealtime, students will key in their meal PIN number on a keypad or scan their bar-coded ID cards. The current money balance in the student’s meal account will be shown on the register or Point of Sale (POS) screen. If an account has enough money, the transaction will be processed and the amount of the meal will be deducted from the student’s balance. If there is not enough money in the account, the student’s account will be debited for the meal, and the student will receive a notice to take home. Students receiving free meals will automatically have an account balance of one lunch per day. A la carte items may be purchased from the account or paid for with cash.

What happens if someone uses my child's account?

The register system randomly generates the PIN numbers that are distributed to your child, making it difficult for someone to gain access to the number. If the number is used by someone other that the legitimate holder, the register will notify the cashier that the number is being abused. The cafeteria manager will take steps to rectify this situation. Your child’s account will not be charged for unauthorized usage.

A parent can always ask for a detailed report on available meal money and meal transactions in the student’s account. To request this information, please call the cafeteria manager.

Please remember that the student meal PIN number issued belongs to your son or daughter. This meal PIN number is confidential and should not be shared with other students. When your student keys in his/her PIN number, your student’s name will also appear on the screen. It would be helpful if you would discuss with your child that their PIN number needs to be kept confidential.


What is the "alternate meal" policy for the food service department?

Elementary school students with a paid eligibilty may borrow 3 tray lunches before being offered an alternate meal at no charge. An alternate meal includes a turkey sandwich, all offered sides (fruit, vegetables, etc.) and milk. At no time or for any reason will a tray be taken away from an elementary student. If the elementary student arrives at the cashier station with a tray and does not have money, his/her account will be debited for reimbursable meals. 

Intermediate and High School students  with a paid eligibility may borrow up to the dollar amount of one breakfast and one lunch, $3.85 for intermediate students and $4.10 for high school students before being offered an alternate meal. The manager will notify the administrator on duty when students continue to exceed the borrowing limit for an extended period. 

Students at all grade levels that are eligible for reduced price meals may borrow up to $4.00 before being offered an alternate meal.

Students who do not have money for breakfast are served a regular reimbursable breakfast. Their account is debited or adjusted as necessary. The meal is rung up as a reimbursable breakfast.

Students are permitted to borrow for reimbursable meals only and never for a la carte items. A student is allowed to borrow only for milk and the account should be debited. But, if the student’s account is blocked, he/she cannot borrow milk.

Will my child have the same PIN while enrolled in KISD?

Personal identification numbers (PIN) are issued on a per school basis. The PIN your child isChilds Pin Number issued will be valid only while attending his/her current school. If your student moves from an elementary to intermediate or from intermediate to high school he/she will be issued a new PIN on the first day of school.

childs tray

How can I limit what my child can purchase from his/her account?
Your child's account can be blocked from a la carte purchases at the parents request. This will not prohibit your child from buying a la carte items but he/she must have the cash in hand in order to purchase these items. The "block" will allow the account to only be used for a "hot" lunch and will remain in effect as long as your child attends the current school.
Click here to obtain a copy of the Block Account Forms

What is the district's policy on food brought from home?

The only food to be consumed by students during the school day on school premises sFoodhall be that provided by the school district's food service department, prepared under the supervision of the appropriate school personnel, prepared and supplied by the teacher for instructional purposes, canned or bottled drinks supplied by the school or an affiliated organization, or food brought to the school by the students for their own consumption. With the joint approval of the campus principal and the director of the food service department, food for special student activities during the school day may be provided by a recognized commercial distributor. This would not include food prepared in individual homes.


What information should I put on a check for meals?

Checks sCheckhould be made out to Klein Food Service and include the student name(s) and the pin(s) in the memo section.

Why did my child get this white envelope to bring home?White Envelope

As a service to the parents in our community the Klein Food Service Department provides a payment envelope to students whose balance drops below $5.00. This is intended to be a reminder to parents that it is time to place additional monies on account with the school. We believe the envelope is convenient because all information necessary is pre-printed for the parent and eliminates the need for the parent to provide
.and envelope and remember what details are required.

Adult Meal Price

Why do faculty and staff pay more for meals than students?

According to federal regulations "breakfasts and lunches served to teachers, administrators, custodians and other adults must be priced so that the adult payment in combination with any other revenue is sufficient to cover the overall cost of the lunch, including the value of any USDA entitlement and bonus donated foods used to prepare the meal." The Food Service Department receives reimbursement for meals served to children. The value of this reimbursement and donated commodities must not be used to subsidize adult meals.

Why did my child receive a turkey sandwich for lunch?

free tukey sandwich

Your elementary school child may have been given a turkey sandwich
and milk at no charge if he/she has borrowed for the cost of three meals.
Your intermediate school child may have been given a turkey sandwich and milk at no charge if he/she has borrowed for the cost of one meal.

What are the current meal prices?

Elementary lunch prices are $2.25 for full paying students and $0.40 for reduced students. Breakfast costs $1.25 for full paying students and $0.30 for reduced students. Intermediate lunch prices are $2.50 for full paying students and $0.40 for reduced students. Breakfast costs $1.35 for full paying students and $0.30 for reduced students. High school lunch prices are $2.75 for full paying students and $0.40 for reduced students. Breakfast costs $1.35 for full paying students and $0.30 for reduced.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D. C. 20250-9410; (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: program.intake@usda.gov. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Website by Klein ISD Communications. © 2021 Klein ISD. All rights reserved.